WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce platform for WordPress.
The ecommerce platform for WordPress was created by WooThemes in September 2011. Automattic, the operator and core contributor of WordPress, acquired WooThemes in May 2016.
WooCommerce is free to download as a plugin from the WordPress.org plugin directory. You can easily set up a simple webshop for free. For more advanced webshops or for some payment plugins, you have to purchase premium themes and plugins.
WooCommerce and GDPR
General tips for webshops
- use SSL for your website so that all communication is transported through a secured line
- inform your visitors and customers about cookies
- only collect necessary data
- check for payment providers - they are processors and you need processor contracts with them
- inform what data is stored and how long
- if you store IP-address inform people